The excitement
and burst of energy that comes from
watching a football
match where one
is an avid supporter
of a team; coupled with poor health,
overcrowding, non-availability of electric power supply & urgent medical attention among other factors seems to have caused the
death of a 40 year-old man in Abeokuta, Ogun State.
He collapsed and died at a viewing centre in Abeokuta, Ogun State,
while watching the match between the Super Eagles of Nigeria and the Elephants of Ivory Coast.

The man, Moshood Ismail, was a father of two and an engineer
with the Federal Roads Maintenance Agency.

Punch reports that in the early minutes of the game, he became
agitated and later collapsed when an Ivorien defender
deflected a goal-bound shot from
Victor Moses. Then he started foaming on the mouth and was
immediately rushed to Success Medical Clinic where no doctor
was available to attend to him.

The nurses at the hospital however, gave him some first aid treatment before he was taken to another hospital but he died on the way to the hospital he
was referred to.
A source told Punch that while
they were on their way to the
second hospital,

However Medical
Director at Success Medical Clinic,
Sulaiman Kolawole told Punch
that Ismail was brought into his
clinic dead, adding that efforts to
revive him proved unsuccessful.

He said the death was due to excessive intake of carbon dioxide which resulted in “anoxia”.

“The man was brought in dead.
It is supposed to be a heart attack, because he looked weak,
like someone who had been sick
for a very long time. He looked like someone who was
managing his life and was now in the midst of a crowd with
shortage of oxygen in that area.

We call it anoxia, which is excessive intake of carbon
dioxide persistently for a long period of time. But it was late
before he was brought here.”

The ongoing matches at the African Cup of Nations are not
being aired on any local TV station in Nigeria, therefore,
most people who don’t have access to Cable TV have to go to
such crowded viewing centers to
watch the matches.

This, coupled with the lack of electricity in most parts of the country which results to the use of carbon dioxide emitting generators might have
contributed to the death of this husband and father.;
The viewing center

source> bella Naija, Punch & vanguard Nig….

Share Button